These Thick & Chewy Monster Cookie Bars are so much easier than making cookies but have the same iconic cookie flavors you know and love. Packed with chewy oats, creamy peanut butter, and lots of chocolate and miniature M&M’s, it is scary how good they are!
Since I work from home, I find that I don’t really put any effort into what I wear.
Some folks who work from home dress like they’re going to an office… but my “office” is the kitchen where everything has a flour or powdered-sugar residue and where eggs jump to their grisly death off of my kitchen counter. Wearing a skirt suit isn’t exactly wise in my position.
So every day (since it’s still hot as hell out), I usually wear denim shorts and a black shirt. Boring, easy, thoughtless. But I still continue to buy adorable retro-inspired dresses and pinup couture for my closet which looks more and more like a boutique every day as new packages roll in.
And yet – I never wear this stuff. But I want to. So lately I’ve been putting in the effort to dress up every day, even if I never step a foot outside of my apartment. Some of the dresses are more relaxed – like an oversize t-shirt – but some are fancy and twirly and fun. And you know what? I feel so much less schleppy and gross.
But it made me realize: classic shapes like my A-line dresses never go out of style, and neither do classic desserts. Enter: these Monster Cookie Bars which will always be top of the class. They start with a chocolate chip cookie-esque base that’s dressed up with hearty oats, creamy peanut butter, and miniature M&M’s candies to, jazzing them up with out-of-this-world flavor and great chewy texture.
And because I’m all about a shortcut, these bars are so much easier to whip up than making drop cookies, yet are every bit as delicious.
PS: they taste extra amazing when topped with a scoop of ice cream and lots of chocolate & caramel sauce. ?
Thick & Chewy Monster Cookie Bars
Author: Hayley Parker, The Domestic Rebel
Recipe type: Bars
These Monster Cookie Bars are supremely thick, chewy, hearty, and packed with amazing flavor from peanut butter, chocolate, and miniature M&M’s candies! A must-try, and so much easier than making drop cookies!
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups brown sugar
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 2 & ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 & ½ cups old-fashioned oats (not quick oats)
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup miniature M&M’s candies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13×9″ rectangular baking pan with foil, extending the sides of the foil over the edges of the pan. Spray the foil liberally with cooking spray; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and brown sugar until smooth and fluffy, about 1 minute. Beat in the peanut butter, followed by the eggs and vanilla. Add in the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and flour and mix on low-speed until just barely combined. Beat in the oats, chocolate chips, and M&M’s candies until just combined.
- Press the dough into the prepared baking pan evenly and bake for approximately 20-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and set. Cool in the pan completely before cutting into bars.
A quick and easy bar recipe that’s sure to please!
Have a super sweet day!