Sour Cream Chocolate Cake is a simple, classic cake that can be frosted or dusted with powdered sugar. It’s dense and chocolaty…basically a cross between a brownie and a piece of cake!
I am going to show you something. Something I should NOT be showing you. Ever. Like everrrrrr.
Consider this a PSA for anyone whoever even THOUGHT about starting a food blog. My advice is always…just do it. Actually, that is my advice to anyone who wants to try anything. Just give it a try. I mean, except crack or drinking vanilla extract (even though it smells delicious) or Crocs. But anything else…totally do it!
I will prove to you, here today that you should just go for it. Fake it til you make it. I am living proof.
Because friends, I am going to show you how things used to be around this internet space circa 2009. This was like a month after I started my website, and I thought I would try and “develop” recipes and photograph my experiences. OMG embarrassing. SOOO…I made this very recipe.
But back in 2009 I didn’t know much about anything when it came to photography. I posted the pictures you see HERE. (That is the one and only link I will put for sake of your eyes). Oh dear Lord. You see I was going back through the archives on my site, checking on posts I needed to update, add new pictures etc. Basically website maintenance. ANYWAYYYYYY, I found that post and literally did not even know what the picture was. Seriously it looks like a pile of dookie.
How I thought that picture was good enough to post PUBLICLY is way beyond me. I mean, the recipe is great, but holy bleep, the pictures. I don’t even know what to say.
And bless the sweet soul who left a comment on that post. I owe you a brownie for SURE.
Anyhow, if anyone could see beyond the treasure that was my photography in 2009, there was actually a good recipe buried in there. So yeah, fake it til you make it.
While unidentifiable back in 2009, it is actually a Sour Cream Chocolate Cake. I actually set out to make a sour cream brownie, but it was much more cake than brownie…albeit, still delicious. It’s soft and loaded with chocolate chips. You could frost it, certainly, or just dust it with powdered sugar! Either way, it’s a sure winner.
Sour Cream Chocolate Cake
Author: Cookies & Cups
Serves: serves 8-10
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9×9 pan with aluminum foil, coat with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the butter and brown sugar on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Add egg, sour cream, and vanilla and mix on medium until light and smooth. Add cocoa powder, baking soda and salt and mix until smooth.
- Turn mixer to low and add in flour until well mixed.
- Stir in chocolate chips and spread the batter evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until center is set. Cool in pan on wire rack. Sift powdered sugar over the top, if desired.