These Lemon Poppyseed Muffin Mix Cookies are a game-changer! Transform ordinary boxed muffin mix into these fantastic bright and zesty lemon poppyseed cookies with a delicious lemony glaze on top!
I think now more than ever people are looking for easy, convenient ways to bake up things they already have in their pantry.
Thankfully, I have just the solution and boy, are they amazing.
Before you roll your eyes, I should let you know I am a lover of cake mix. Gone are the days when cake mix-made desserts stuck out like an artificial sore thumb. There are SO many ways to doctor up a standard box of cake mix so you won’t even know the final result started from a humble box. (I promise!)
From cookies to muffins, even cinnamon rolls, you can make so much with a cake mix. And now, you can make cookies out of a muffin mix! Who says you can’t?!
If you’re a “top of the muffin” kinda person (a la Elaine Bennis from Seinfeld) you are going to flip for these Lemon Poppyseed Muffin Mix Cookies!
These cookies get their humble beginnings from a lemon poppyseed muffin mix – yep, from the box. Of course, to make these extraordinary we’re going to jazz them up a bit with a built-in streusel-y crumb and lots of bright lemon flavor from fresh lemon zest. To top it off and give these cookies an extra punch of lemony goodness and sweetness, they’re garnished with a thick and silky lemon glaze. Are you drooling yet?
To give these cookies some extra flavor and heartiness, I added in a “built-in streusel” which helps provide and excellent texture and some oomph to these cookies. The streusel is basically brown sugar and old-fashioned oats which lend a hearty bite. And to jazz up the flavor and really drive home that lemon, we’ll add fresh lemon zest to the cookie batter. Trust me, the zest brightens things up and sends these cookies over the top!
The crowning jewel is a thick, glossy layer of lemony butter glaze which sets up beautifully and adds a touch of sweetness and some more tangy lemon flavor.
I dare you to give these to any cake mix naysayer and watch them groan with happiness during each bite! I guarantee no one will know they started from a box!
*adapted from my Muffin Mix Blueberry Streusel Cookie recipe
Lemon Poppyseed Muffin Mix Cookies
Author: Hayley Parker, The Domestic Rebel
Recipe type: Cookies
These Lemon Poppyseed Muffin Mix Cookies are a must make for anyone looking to jazz up a humble box of muffin mix! Bright and zesty, these easy cookies come together in a flash and are crowned with a lemony butter glaze that’s to die for!
- FOR THE COOKIES:
- One box lemon poppyseed muffin mix (I always use Krusteaz brand!)
- ¾ cup old-fashioned oats (do not use instant oatmeal)
- ⅓ cup plus 2 Tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- Zest of one medium lemon
- FOR THE LEMONY BUTTER GLAZE:
- 1 & ½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-2 Tablespoons milk (may not need depending on the consistency of your glaze)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with silicone liners or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the muffin mix – just the dry mix with poppyseeds, oats, oil, brown sugar, egg, milk and lemon zest and stir together until a soft dough comes together.
- Portion rounded, heaping Tablespoonfuls of dough onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake for approx. 8-10 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking time to ensure even cooking. Cool on the sheets completely.
- Meanwhile, make your glaze. Combine all the glaze ingredients except for the milk together in a bowl, only using milk if needed, until smooth and pourable. Glaze the tops of the cookies and let set, about 10 minutes. Then serve!
These are so delicious, easy and I know you’re going to love them!
Craving more lemony goodness? Check out these recipes!
Have a super sweet day!