This Cheesy Broccoli, Sausage and Cauliflower Casserole is a creamy low-carb dinner idea made with smoked sausage and hearty vegetables. It’s an easy, cheesy casserole recipe the whole family will love!
For a meatless version, try this creamy Broccoli Cheese Casserole.
One of My Favorite Low Carb Dinner Ideas
It’s no secret that I love my low-carb dinners. Who doesn’t? This casserole is where healthier living meets comfort food, and I can’t get enough of it. A quick and easy sausage bake filled with delicious flavors, fresh ingredients, and a creamy cheese sauce. Loves it! 💕
You don’t need anything fancy to make this casserole. You can also play around with the ingredients to make it your own! Here’s what I use:
- Broccoli Florets: You can never go wrong with a dish that uses broccoli and cheese. It’s such a classic combo!
- Cauliflower Florets: High in antioxidants and vitamin B, cauliflower takes this casserole to the next level.
- Vegetable Oil
- Yellow Onion: Diced onions are a nutrient-rich way to bring out the amazing flavors in this dish.
- Sausage: I like to use Polish or andouille sausage, but any other (pre-cooked) sausage would taste great, too.
- Cream Cheese
- Mayonnaise: Plain yogurt or sour cream also work wonderfully as substitutions. It’s up to you!
- Shredded Cheese: You can use your family’s favorite blend.
- Dijon Mustard
How to Make this Cauliflower Casserole
- Prepare for Baking: Preheat your oven to 400˚F and grease a 9×13 baking dish with butter or cooking spray; set aside.
- Boil Water: Add water to a large pot and bring to a rolling boil.
- Add Broccoli & Cauliflower: Add broccoli florets and cauliflower florets to the boiling water. Bring broccoli & cauliflower to a boil and continue to cook for 3 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat Oil: Add vegetable oil to a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Stir in onions and cook for 2 minutes. Then, add your garlic and cook for 20 more seconds.
- Add Smoked Sausage: Stir in smoked sausage and cook for 3 minutes, or until browned on all sides. Stir frequently.
- Assemble on Baking Dish: Transfer broccoli, cauliflower, plus the sausage mixture to the previously prepared baking dish.
- Make Cheese Sauce: In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, mayonnaise, 1 cup of the shredded cheese, dijon mustard, salt, and pepper. Mix until everything is thoroughly incorporated.
- Add to Baking Dish: Stir the cream cheese mixture into the broccoli mixture; stir around until everything is well combined.
- Top With More Cheese & Bake: Add your remaining shredded cheese on top. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and top is golden brown.
- Remove from Oven: Serve and Enjoy!
Tips for the Best Cauliflower Casserole
- Lightly Grease Your Baking Dish: Make sure you don’t forget to grease your baking dish. It will make your life so much easier! Just a dash of cooking spray will do the trick. If you don’t grease the pan, the bottom of your casserole might stick to it. Trust me, you won’t want any of this dinner to go to waste!
- Don’t Overcook Your Garlic: The garlic cloves will cook quickly, so make sure you keep an eye on them. You don’t want them getting too hard and burnt.
- Stir the Sausage: In order to get your smoked sausage browned evenly, you’ll have to stir it often while it’s cooking with the garlic and onions.
You can make any side dish you want with this casserole. It’s a versatile dinner that pairs well with just about anything! Here are some of my favorite sides to serve it with:
- Roasted Carrots: These Maple Roasted Carrots are sweet, buttery, and super easy to throw together. Their sweetness compliments the savory sausage casserole while keeping your dinner healthy and fresh.
- Deviled Avocados: These creamy Deviled Avocados are fun, simple and full of flavor. They have a cool and smooth texture that will go great with your cauliflower bake. Plus, they’re made in under 20 minutes with no oven necessary.
- Cocktails: After a long day when you just want to sit down with a relaxing meal, throw together a cocktail to enjoy with this casserole. My Cucumber Mojitos and Apple Cider Mimosas are easy options that never fail to satisfy.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
This dinner almost never makes it past the first night at my house. But if you do end up with leftovers, you can easily save them for later! Just store your casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. When you want to reheat it, put it in the oven at 350°F for 15 minutes or until it’s nice and hot.
More Low Carb Casseroles
Tools Used in this Recipe
Cheesy Broccoli, Sausage, and Cauliflower Casserole
This Cheesy Cauliflower, Broccoli and Sausage Bake is a creamy low-carb dinner made with smoked sausage and hearty vegetables. It’s an easy, cheesy casserole recipe the whole family will love!
Calories: 448 kcal
- 1 pound broccoli florets
- 1/2 pound cauliflower florets
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 ounces smoked sausage, polish or andouille, sliced into 1-inch rounds
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature, cut into cubes for easier mixing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, or sub plain yogurt or sour cream
- 2 cups shredded mexican blend cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish; set aside.
Add water to a large pot, filling it about halfway up, and bring to a boil.
Add broccoli florets and cauliflower florets to the boiling water.
Bring to a boil and continue to cook for 3 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
In the meantime, add vegetable oil to a skillet and heat over medium-high heat.
Stir in onions and cook for 2 minutes.
Add garlic and cook for 20 seconds.
Stir in smoked sausage and cook for 3 minutes, or until browned on all sides. Stir frequently.
Transfer broccoli, cauliflower, plus sausage mixture to previously prepared baking dish.
In a mixing bowl combine cream cheese, mayonnaise, 1 cup shredded cheese, dijon mustard, salt, and pepper; mix until thoroughly incorporated.
Stir the cream cheese mixture into the broccoli mixture; stir around until everything is well combined. Add remaining shredded cheese on top.
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and top is golden brown.
Remove from oven and serve.
Cheesy Broccoli, Sausage, and Cauliflower Casserole
Amount Per Serving
Calories 448 Calories from Fat 351
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 16g80%
Vitamin A 907IU18%
Vitamin C 65mg79%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.