This classic Beef and Broccoli recipe is easy to make at home-it only takes 30 minutes, and tastes even better than takeout! It’s a great quick and easy weeknight meal that the entire family will love.
Beef and Broccoli is a classic Chinese dish that my boys LOVE! We used to order it in from a local restaurant, but now we just make it at home! No need to spend money on takeout–this is an easy recipe that tastes even better than your favorite restaurant and it only takes 30 minutes to make.
The beef is perfectly tender with a sweet and savory sauce that will knock your socks off! Plus, the dish is loaded with vibrant green broccoli. If I want my boys to eat broccoli, I know I can always count on Beef and Broccoli. They like roasted broccoli too, but this dish by far their favorite. Caleb even requests it every year for his birthday dinner.
Ingredients to Make Beef and Broccoli
Don’t worry, the ingredients for this dish are pretty basic, which make this the perfect easy weeknight meal!
- Flank steak– Flank Steak is perfect for beef and broccoli because it is lean and tender. Use a sharp knife to cut the steak into thin strips going agains the grain. To make the beef easier to slice, you can put it in the freezer for about 30 minutes and then slice it. If you can’t find flank steak, you can use top sirloin or tri-tip.
- Cornstarch– Coat the beef in cornstarch to create a light coating that will protect the meat from the high heat of the wok or pan. This will help prevent the beef from overcooking, getting tough, and will make sure it cooks evenly. You will also need cornstarch to thicken the sauce.
- Vegetable oil – for cooking the beef.
- Salt and Pepper – for seasoning the meat.
- Light Soy Sauce – use light soy sauce so the dish isn’t too salty. If you need the dish to be gluten-free, you can use gluten-free soy sauce, Tamari.
- Honey – for sweetening the sauce!
- Garlic – garlic is a must!
- Orange Zest – the hint of orange zest really brightens things up.
- Ginger – use FRESH ginger! It adds the best flavor. I always keep ginger in the freezer. Use a microplane to grate it.
- Sesame oil– sesame oil is a great flavor enhancer and is SO good in this dish!
- Onion– we use a yellow onion. Chop and try not to cry:)
- Broccoli– You will need 6 cups of broccoli florets. Try to make sure the pieces are the same size so they cook evenly.
How to Make Beef and Broccoli
30 minute meals are a lifesaver and this one is a FAVORITE! I guarantee it will be a regular in your meal plan. Let’s do it!
- First, prep the beef. Place the flank steak pieces in a large bowl and add the cornstarch. Toss until the pieces are well coated. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Next, whisk together the sauce. I love that we always have the sauce ingredients on hand and the flavor is incredible.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Make sure the pan is hot before you add in the beef. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is almost cooked through. Transfer to a clean plate and set aside.
- Add the sesame oil to the hot skillet and add the onions and broccoli. Cook until tender, make sure you don’t overcook the broccoli. Nobody wants to eat soggy broccoli.
- Add the steak back to the pan and add the sauce. Cook until the sauce thickens, and the beef is cooked through.
- That is it! I told you it was easy!
You can serve beef and broccoli with:
- Rice (white or brown)
We also like to garnish the dish with sesame seeds, sliced scallions, and crushed red pepper flakes. You can also add a dash of sriracha or chili garlic sauce if you want more heat.
You can store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. We like to store the rice or noodles separate. Reheat before enjoying!
More Easy Dinner Recipes
Beef and Broccoli
This classic Beef and Broccoli recipe is easy to make at home, and tastes even better than takeout! It is a great quick and easy weeknight meal that the entire family will love!
For the beef:
- 1 ½ lbs. flank steak, sliced into thin 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup light soy sauce (can use Tamari for gluten-free)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- Sesame seeds, red pepper flakes, and sliced scallions, for garnish
Place the flank steak pieces in a large bowl and add the cornstarch. Toss until the pieces are well coated. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, honey, garlic, orange zest, ginger, and cornstarch. Set aside.
In a large skillet or wok, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the steak and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is almost cooked through. Transfer to a clean plate and set aside.
Add the sesame oil to the hot skillet and add the onions and broccoli. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until the onions are softened and the broccoli is tender, but still slightly crisp.
Add the cooked steak to the pan. Pour the sauce over the beef and broccoli and stir to coat. Cook until the sauce thickens, and the beef is cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes.
Serve with rice or noodles and garnish with sesame seeds, red pepper flakes, and scallions.
Calories: 319kcal, Carbohydrates: 23g, Protein: 28g, Fat: 13g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 68mg, Sodium: 800mg, Potassium: 751mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 11g, Vitamin A: 567IU, Vitamin C: 84mg, Calcium: 80mg, Iron: 3mg
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
Photos by Dishing out Health