30 minute turkey quinoa chili
This is a recipe for the love of a ton of my favorite things: 2 lean proteins, vegetables, a QUICK, hearty meal and (as always) a delicious chili to add my avocado and shredded cheese to. Definitely add more ground chipotle if you like it really spicy. I’m not always in the mood for spicy. I know its odd. Like, why make chili if you’re not going to make it red hot spicy? But sometimes I’m not in the mood for pain. Sorry.
You can substitute in red ground meat for the turkey as well. Also vegetable broth for the chicken broth would work.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp ground chipotle chile powder
- 1.5 cups quinoa (uncooked)
- 2 (15 oz) cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 oz) can red kidney beans
- 2 tbs fresh chives, chopped
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- Cook the turkey in a dutch oven over medium high heat until no longer pink – about 5 minutes.
- Add onion and bell pepper and cook until softened – about 4 minutes. Stir in garlic and season with ground chipotle, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the quinoa, tomatoes, broth and beans to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionaly, until quinoa is cooked about 15 minutes.
- Top with chives, cheese and serve.
Yields 6 servings.