3 Ingredient Shortbread is SO simple, buttery, with the perfect hint of sweetness. It’s the perfect cookie to kick off my 12 Days of Christmas Cookie series!
I am SO SO SOOOOO happy right now! It’s officially cookie season and I am INTO.IT.
My favorite time of the year is upon us, and I am soaking it all in. The day after Thanksgiving, I am in full happy mode for the next month. The decorations, the traditions, the holiday feels, THE COOKIES… there’s just so much to be thankful for.
I mentioned cookies, right?
MY OTHER RECIPES
So, in honor of the most wonderful time of the year, I am celebrating with 12 Days of Christmas Cookies!
I have a full TWELVE days of cookies for you…and there is a cookie in the mix for everyone! I want to load up your holiday platters with delicious classics.
Of course, I have so many cookies on my website already…and I stand behind all the recipes I have here. But in honor of Christmas 2017, I wanted to give you 12, all new recipes that you come back to again and again!
So starting out the week, I have a major classic…shortbread. And this recipe is only THREE ingredients.
The most important part of shortbread is the butter, so you want to make sure that you are using high quality butter.
I’ve partnered with my friends over at Challenge Dairy on this recipe. I’ve worked with Challenge for years and their butter is churned daily from two natural ingredients: the freshest 100% real pasteurized sweet cream and salt. That’s it. Challenge is the only dairy company that controls the entire butter process, beginning with the milk, which is why the flavor is always consistent and pure.
And in this recipe I splurged and used their European Style Butter, which is churned slower and longer, to produce a more flavorful butter with less moisture and higher butterfat— 83% versus 80% for standard butters. BRING IT.
The dough is crazy easy…like I said only 3 ingredients: butter, sugar, and flour.
I like to bake my shortbread in a springform pan, because I love the wedge shape.
You can absolutely bake this in a 9- inch square pan if you prefer a square or bar shape.
The trick is to cut shortbread when it’s still warm. If you don’t, it will crumble and break, and you won’t get pretty slices.
It’s really just that easy! You could dust it with powdered sugar, drizzle it with melted chocolate, or even dip the ends in chocolate and sprinkle it with festive sprinkles!
I guarantee this is a recipe you’ll come back to time and again, for it’s delicious flavor and ease of prep.
Stay tuned this week for 11 more ALL NEW Holiday Cookie recipes!
- 1 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment mix the butter and sugar together for 2 minutes. Turn the mixer to low and add in the flour, mixing until just combined, approximately 30 seconds.
- Press the dough into a 9- inch springform pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the edges are lightly golden.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes.Release the sides of the pan and using a very sharp knife, slice into wedges. Leave the shortbread in the pan until it’s completely cooled.
- Remove from the pan using a spatula.
Store at room temperature for up to 5 days for best freshness.
You can bake this in a 9- inch square pan as well, but for easiest removal, line the pan with aluminum foil before baking.
* I have partnered with Challenge Dairy on this post. Challenge is a brand that I have worked with for many many years and I am happy to use their products in my kitchen.