Fluffy quinoa pancakes packed with bursting blueberries and lemon flavor! You’ll love these beautiful pancakes with a drizzle of maple syrup.
I’m not sure if many of you remember, but I used to have a recipe that was very similar to this on my site. I decided to retest the recipe to ensure they were flavorful, fluffy and had the perfect amount sweetness.
My old recipe used to use egg whites and regular flour, but on Ambitious Kitchen we are all about encouraging real food to provide you optimal nutrition so this time I opted for whole eggs to include the vitamins from the yolk and also whole wheat flour to add additional fiber and protein.
One of the reasons I love these lemon blueberry quinoa pancakes is because they’re packed with protein and fiber thanks to the quinoa.
Each serving provides nearly 9g of protein packed with all of the nine amino acids that your body needs. Therefore these just happen to make an excellent post workout breakfast.
And plus, I’ve already been dreaming of spring flavors, so I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to post these pancakes and drift away to a time when Chicago wasn’t 10 degrees.
Also, you’ll need 1 cup of cooked quinoa for this recipe. Here’s my guide on how to cook the best fluffy quinoa.
I hope you get a chance to make these soon. They’re easy, delicious and actually filling. Top them with extra berries and a drizzle of honey or pure maple syrup. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment below and rate the recipe! You can also snap and picture and post it on Instagram using the hashtag #ambitiouskitchen.
Lemon Blueberry Quinoa Pancakes
Author: Monique of AmbitiousKitchen.com
- Serving size: 3 pancakes
- Calories: 281.9
- Fat: 5.7g
- Carbohydrates: 49.4g
- Sugar: 9.8g
- Fiber: 7.8g
- Protein: 8.2g
Recipe type: Breakfast, Pancakes, Dairy Free
- Dry ingredients
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Wet ingredients
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk or coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar or honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- zest of 1 large lemon
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- In a medium bowl, whisk together quinoa, flour, baking powder, and salt. In another medium bowl, whisk together egg, milk, vanilla, honey and lemon juice until smooth. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and whisk to combine. Finally stir in melted coconut oil, then gently fold in blueberries.
- Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet or griddle with coconut oil and heat over medium. Drop batter by 1/4 cup onto skillet. Cook until bubbles appear on top, about 2 minutes. Flip cakes and cook until golden brown on underside, 2 minutes. Wipe skillet clean and repeat with more melted butter and remaining batter. You may need to lower the heat to medium low after the second round to prevent burning.
- Makes about 9 pancakes, 3 pancakes each. Top with fruit preserves, honey, nut butter and/or maple syrup.
TO MAKE VEGAN: A flax egg should work well here (1 tablespoon flaxseed meal + 3 tablespoons water)
Recipe by Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen
Photography by Sarah Fennel // Broma Bakery