I make this salad at least once a week. How am I just now sharing the recipe?
It’s such a healthy, easy, and versatile dish that pairs perfectly with all things Mediterranean. Without further ado, my take on tabbouleh salad!
This recipe is so easy, requiring just 6 ingredients, 10 minutes, and 1 bowl to make.
The base is fresh, chopped parsley, red bell pepper, and red onion. I love eating parsley because it’s so healthy for you (hello, antioxidants) and great at detoxifying the body (especially when you throw in lemon!).
I used to add grains to my salad, but it honestly takes too much time and I don’t feel that it was adding much in the way of texture or flavor. But feel free to add cooked, cooled quinoa, bulgur, or couscous!
Traditional tabbouleh calls for tomato. But, after realizing all I had was red bell pepper one night and using it in its place, I haven’t gone back. It adds even more crunch (plus beta carotene!) and a bit of sweetness, which I love.
And I love that this is another no-mix dressing (i.e. dump the dressing over the salad sans mixing). Keep it easy, folks.
I hope you all LOVE this salad! It’s:
& Easy to make
This salad makes a delicious side to Mediterranean mains like Mediterranean Baked Sweet Potatoes, Chickpea Shawarma Sandwiches, and even Curry Lentil Soup! It also makes a great base for Crispy Baked Chickpeas, Lentil Dip, and Falafel!
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Grain-Free Tabbouleh Salad (6 Ingredients!)
Fresh, flavorful, grain-free tabbouleh salad made with 6 ingredients, 10 minutes, and 1 bowl! The perfect salad or side dish for Mediterranean entrées.
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe type: Side, Salad
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Mediterranean-Inspired
- 1 large bundle (~4-5 cups or 300 g) fresh parsley, chopped (curly, not Italian | organic when possible)
- 1/3 cup (53 g) red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper (~150 g), diced (or sub cherry tomatoes | organic when possible)
- 1 lemon, juiced (3 Tbsp or 45 ml)
- 1-2 Tbsp (15-30 ml) extra virgin olive oil (optional if avoiding oil)
- Pinch each sea salt and black pepper
- optional: 3 Tbsp (30 g) hulled hemp seeds
- To a large mixing bowl, add parsley, onion, and bell pepper. Top with lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper and toss to combine. Add hemp seeds at this time if desired (optional).
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more lemon juice for acidity, salt and pepper for overall flavor, or olive oil if too dry.
- Serve immediately as a side for Mediterranean dishes like Mediterranean Baked Sweet Potatoes, Chickpea Shawarma Dip, or Chickpea Shawarma Sandwiches. This is also great as a salad base for things like Crispy Baked Chickpeas.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 of 4 servings calculated with 1 Tbsp oil and no hemp seeds.
Serving size: 1/4 of recipe Calories: 81 Fat: 4.2 g Saturated fat: 0.6 g Carbohydrates: 10.7 g Sugar: 3.8 g Sodium: 83 mg Fiber: 3.8 g Protein: 3 g