I never thought vegan ricotta cheese could taste so good – until now. Friends, let’s make 5-ingredient vegan cheese!
The base for this seriously easy 1-blender, 10-minute ricotta is blanched slivered almonds. Because they’ve already been soaked and the skins removed, the almonds don’t need to be soaked before blending! Time = saved. In fact, I tried soaking them and didn’t like the end product nearly as much.
Because ricotta doesn’t typically have an intense cheesy flavor, the only additions it needs are nutritional yeast for a little cheesiness, lemon juice for tang, salt for saltiness, and a dash of garlic powder for depth of flavor.
Once blended, the “ricotta” is ready to go! Or you can set it in a cheesecloth and set it in the refrigerator to chill and harden a bit more. But if you’re in a hurry, the finished product is ready like that (in just 10 minutes)!
I hope you all LOVE this almond ricotta! It’s:
Easy to make
& SO delicious
Add this ricotta to things like my Zucchini Lasagna, My Favorite Vegan Pizza, or Stuffed Shells! It would also make a delicious addition to things like my Lentil Bolognese Sauce to make the sauce creamier and cheesier. YUM.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Whipped Almond Ricotta (5 Ingredients!)
5-ingredient, 10-minute almond ricotta! Blanched almonds blended with nutritional yeast, salt, and lemon. The perfect plant-based alternative to ricotta!
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe type: Sauce
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Italian-Inspired
Serves: ~2 cups
- 2 cups (216 g) slivered blanched almonds*
- 2-3 tsp nutritional yeast, plus more to taste
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- Dash garlic powder
- 3/4 – 1 cup (180- 240 ml) water
- optional: 2-3 Tbsp (6 g) fresh basil, oregano, or parsley
- Add all ricotta ingredients (starting with 3/4 cup (180 ml) water) to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy, scraping down sides as needed (~2 minutes). You are looking for a well-puréed mixture with only very small bits of almonds intact. Add a bit more water a little at a time if the mixture is having a hard time blending until smooth.
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more salt for overall flavor, nutritional yeast for cheesiness, and lemon juice for acidity. For even more flavor, you can add in some fresh basil, oregano, or parsley (optional).
- At this point, the “cheese” is ready to enjoy, especially in dishes like Lasagna, Pizza, or Stuffed Shells. However, it can also be wrapped in cheesecloth, formed into a ball, and placed into a fine mesh strainer set over a mixing bowl up to 3 days. This will allow the “cheese” to firm up a bit. However, this is optional. You can also transfer straight from blender to a storage container and refrigerate.
- Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator up to 5-7 days.
Serving size: 1/4 cup (1 of 8 servings) Calories: 162 Fat: 13.6 g Saturated fat: 1.1 g Carbohydrates: 6.5 g Sugar: 1.2 g Sodium: 178 mg Fiber: 3.7 g Protein: 6.3 g